Last week I shared 51 Ways to Save Money…The Easy Way! I know some of you think I’ve lost my marbles on a few of these ideas, but, stick with me 😉 Here is our first installment and 10 Easy Ways to Save Money ideas:
- Make your own Homemade Laundry Detergent – Laundry detergent has become EXPENSIVE over these past few years. Even with coupons you are still paying around $2 and this is for “cheap” grade detergent with the “expensive” brands like Tide often being at least $4 for a small bottle. Once you get into the habit of making your own Homemade Laundry Detergent you’ll wonder why you didn’t start doing this sooner!
- Make your own Dishwasher Detergent – Again, this is a no brainer. Even with sales, dishwasher detergent is expensive. Your initial investment will be pricey, but, you’ll end up saving money in the end!
- File your Taxes for Free – It’s tax season. If you have basic w-2’s, 1099 and can tally up your deductions I say save money and file your taxes yourself! There’s lots of options to filing your taxes for free!
- Freeze your Debit Card – Stop using your debit card. It’s so easy to swipe that we don’t realize where our money is going. Then there’s number 5!
- Cash Only – When you are able to SEE where your money is going you will begin to spend smarter. Give yourself a weekly allowance to spend on groceries, gas, entertainment, etc. and I bet you’ll think twice about giving away your cold hard cash!
- Cut hair at home – Who wants to spend $12 (or more) for a hair cut when you can do it at home for FREE?!? The initial investment of clippers and good scissors will run you under $75 and totally worth the expense. Tally up how much you spend on hair cuts in 12 months, it’ll surprise you!
- Barter – If you’ve ever sold something, chances are you were offered a amount lower than your asking price. While we often give in, others will too! The next time you are out shopping for a product with a hefty price tag, barter! Ask for a lower price or consider trading something you no longer need for what you do need!
- Sell your 2nd car – Is it necessary for your family to have that second or third car? You might want to consider selling your other vehicles and opting for carpooling with other members in your family, neighbors or even riding the bus or a bicycle to your destinations.
- Sell everything – This is one you are saying “Has she lost her marbles? I’m not selling everything.” But, wait! I’ve there’s a point behind my madness!!! When you sell off everything, not only will you have extra funds, but, your life will be much simpler. You will have a clear mind set and begin to see your life in a whole new way.
- Get a part-time job – Again, this is probably a no-brainer, but, this doesn’t have to be a dead end job. This can be walking dogs in your neighborhood, delivering the newspaper, working at your local sports stadium or simply babysitting.
Stay tuned for another 10 installments on Ways to Save Money next week 😉
Check out the Personal Finance Section for more ways to get your finances on track.