Frugal DIY: How to Make Homemade All Purpose Cleaner

Ever since I got my hands on my first bottle of Mrs. Meyer’s cleaning products, I’ve been sold.  Really the smell is what drew me in, but the quality of the cleaning solution is amazing – it works wonders on everything I’ve used it for so far!   Don’t be fooled by the fact that isn’t a drop of bleach to be found in her products. I started out by buying a bottle of the Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Countertop Spray but quickly found out about the the All Purpose cleaner, it comes in a 32 oz bottle that you dillute with water to really streeeetch the budget.  Once your countertop bottle runs out, just refill it with water and 5 tablespoons of the All Purpose cleaner and you’re set!

Now I am interested still in making my own household cleaner with the following ingredients:

• 3 parts water
  • 1 part vinegar
  • a dash of dishwashing soap
  • a few drops of essential oil (optional) $5+ per bottle

But I think it will be hard to part ways with the great Basil and Lemon Verbana smells I’ve become accustomed to!  In fact I find myself looking for something to clean!

Now for just pennies you can try the recipe above or if you’re new to VitaCost you can still get a $10 credit to spend on a purchase of $10 or more.   You’ll just need to pay the $4.99 shipping.  So you could buy a bottle of Mrs. Meyer’s All Purpose Cleaner ($6.71) and a bottle of  Clean Day Countertop Spray ($3.56) and just pay $5.26 for them both shipping to your door.

Have you tried either or both of these methods?

Comments

1. Tina W says

OK Now, I’m sold. I have to try that cleaner and smell the Basil and Lemon Verbana smells! I like our current cleaner fine, but it just smells like cleaner. :)

• Anonymous says

Bottle of the All-purpose cleaner in Geranium scent says it is at least 98% naturally derived.

2. rebecca says

I’ve used Mrs. Meyers lemon verbena for probably the last 6 years. I love that it’s safe to use around the kids and the dogs, and they make a whole line so that everything from your body soap to your toilet bowl cleaner all have the same scent. Amazon sells the AP cleaner by the case (when you don’t have coupons) and a case will last forever when it’s diluted in the countertop spray bottle. I use it for the kitchen, bath, floors, etc. It’s a wonderful product, and my husband loves that I don’t have 40 different bottles of cleaner cluttering up the cabinets!

3. Sara says

I love Mrs. Meyers products! I also met THE Mrs. Meyers a few years ago and she is a super sweet lady. I love to support nice people!

4. Holly says

Even with the savings through vitacost, I still make my own and add sweet orange oil to it. But it’s nice to have another option. Thanks

5. Kim says

Cost Plus World Market in Modesto also carries it Mrs. Meyers. But with the $10 discount, I placed an order of the two mentioned above, along with the hand soap. I realized when cleaning my house I just moved out of that I shouldn’t need to wear a mask. I needed to find a natural cleaner, so thank you for this post. Also, don’t forget to check out the “Free Samples” tab at the top when placing an order. You can pick two samples. There’s some energy drinks at the top, but several choices of organic teas toward the bottom.

6. Erin Bosco via Facebook says

Biokleen concentrated all-purpose cleaner ROCKS! I bought a bottle when my daughter was a baby and she is now 5. a little bit mixed with water fills the entire 32oz bottle. It is all natural and awesome.

7. Chris. says

I love their toilet cleaners, I am annoyed by their “countertop cleaner.” Stated on their label, all this does is adds a fresh scent. It doesn’t disinfect, it doesn’t actually clean, as far as I can tell. People use this thinking that it does disinfect when really they’re just spreading germs around and making them smell pretty.