Let’s talk about Safeway’s, ummm… coupon issues?

Emails have been pouring in about your less than exciting shopping trips…and I feel so bad for you guys.  It looks like a lot of things are changing at Safeway, especially in regards to eCoupons.  I think I can safely say that those awesome FREE deals just might be coming to an end.

With that said, I’ll be visiting Safeway headquarters in just a couple of weeks as they share about a new Savings/Deal program.  After that I am sure we will have the answers we are all looking for.

You can review the current Safeway Coupon Policy here.  Here is an email from a recent reader – I’m sure you can see how frustrating this has b.com/e.

Have you heard from anyone about having any issues using coupons at Safeway?  I’m having trouble at my Safeway (Balfour at Fairview in Brentwood).  They rudely told me “if the internet coupons don’t scan, we DON’T take them.”  I handed the cashier my coupons today and she immediately looked disgusted.  It was really discouraging and I will be contacting Safeway.

The cashier first sorted all my coupons and then told me I couldn’t use my cereal coupons because “I would be getting them for FREE.”  I responded that actually they would be 49 cents each!

What Safeway do you go to and do you have any issues there?  I’m really ready to go to a different store because they always make me feel as if I’m stealing!  I really feel like a criminal.  I’m only upset because this has happened more than once.

Any advice you have is really appreciated!  Thanks so much! –Michelle

Have you guys had similar experiences to the one above? If so, please share in thecomments section.  I’m hoping my u coming trip to Safeway will help us all figure out the best and most comfortable way to shop those deals and NOT feel like a criminal – that is absolutely terrible.

1. Serena O says

That was me yesterday! It was horrible! And the cashier was NOT friendly! I was already upset because the Blinkies for the Cottonelle TP was empty, but it only got worse when I got to the register. I bought 4 boxes of the Cheerios, had my coupons for each box and then I had a Catalina coupon as well. They wouldn’t let me use the Catalina and the Manufacturers coupons, even when I told them that we are allowed one of each. Then when they scanned my $.75 off flavored Cherrios it wouldn’t scan! So of course they would not take it! I even had a coupon for Athenos Hummus that was from the Sunday paper and it wouldn’t scan so she wouldn’t take it! I had coupons for the Campbells Condensed Soup that was a printed coupon and that wouldn’t scan, so I told her I didn’t want the soup which made her even more disgusted! I also noticed that some of my loaded coupons from Cellfire and Short Cuts did not show up on my reciept. I don’t know what is going on, but I have been a big Safeway fan but this is really disappointing!

2. Cheryl says

I have had some not so good experiences at the SAME Safeway (Balfour and Fairview in Brentwood). In addition I was told by a cashier that if my Manuf. Coupon did not scan they did not have to honor it. I have also had lost of problems with ecoupons lately. They are just not coming off and to get the issues resolved with Cellfire and Shortcut is long and sometimes not worth it.

3. Jean says

I recently send an email to the company (through Vons.com) due to another bad experience. This time is was regarding coupons. I went to a supervisor’s check-out line – which was my mistake as they are the rudest folks in my local store (in Nipomo). He actually commented to the customer behind me “that you can’t trust those internet coupons.”
    My letter to the company concluded with, “If Vons has a policy of accepting coupons and even goes so far as to offer them on Vons.com to print at home, then the employees should not be embarrassing and humiliating customers who choose to use them. I’m treated better at Walmart, Trader Joe’s, and all the other stores where I choose to spend my money. This supervisor obviously did not want me in that store and I’m not sure I want to go back. ”

On my last trip, I was checking my receipt on the way out and saw an item rang up wrong. I went to the customer service desk and after waiting while the manager checked the shelf he handed my the refund without saying one word to me… no sorry about that, or thanks for waiting, or even a “here you go.” So rude.

This is not all the bad experiences I’ve had there. I’ve had issues with mistakes on special orders in the deli, the bakery, and returning an ice cream cake that was 2 months past it’s expiration date. At this point it is rare to have a positive experience. As a result, I only shop at Vons about once a month, if that, when there is a sale in the meat department and I want to stock up. Vons used to be my main grocery store, but I now prefer Trader Joe’s. Trader Joe’s seems to want my business; they are so friendly and engaging, offer tips,and it is a pleasure to shop there – even with the kids (they love it there with the kid shopping carts, the coloring pages).

Sorry for the long post, but I’ve been unhappy with them a long time and I’m encouraged that you may be able to address these concerns when to visit Safeway’s headquarters. My MIL had a bad experience a few years back (in Pleasanton) and now will not shop there because she never received a response to the letter she wrote to the store.

Good Luck!

4. Kristi says

Ditto! Some ecoupons have not been deducted and my store has been not-so-friendly with the coupon thing. Also, watch your receipts because the Safeway coupons have not been reflected at my store in Modesto and my mom’s store in Concord. It’s been frustrating because it takes a lot of time and effort to shop frugally :(

Also, do you know if the blinkies get refilled?

Thanks for your efforts Julia! Always grateful :)

5. Susie says

Balfour/Fairview Safeway glad it’s not just me. My PG ecoupons never come off, and it seems like less and less of the others are coming off lately as well. Which is a bummer if you go to buy a certain item for that reason. I also have tried to use the one coupon per item as you usually do for great deals on certain things and more and more often after they scann one they will hand the rest back to me, or they won’t scan again and they will give them back. RARELY will I get a cashier that will override them and make them go through. So yes shopping at Safeway has gotten to be more and more of a pain, and there really isn’t anywhere else to go out here where I can get everything in one shot. I don’t mind FoodMaxx for something but I can’t get it all and I hate going to more than 1 store! Lazy me!

• Scott Binder says

I’m so glad that my Safeway (McKinleyville, CA) has some of the nicest, most accommodating cashiers in the industry. If I ever have a problem, it is resolved instantly. I too have experienced a good deal of lag between selecting an eCoupon online and it registering with their system, so I try to give it at least 24 hours before a store visit using eCoupons, but that certainly isn’t the fault of Safeway. My Safeway rules.

6. Becky says

I’ve had no problems at all with any cashiers at Alamo, San Ramon & Dublin. They usually ask me how I figure out all the great deals to get the average 75% – 95% savings.

7. D.L. Kurson says

As far as I know NO stores, including Safeway will take ecoupons here in Vallejo. You might get a cashier here and there that will take them but most will not. Not even the Safeway my hubby works at and they know me.

8. Kaley says

I had a bad experience at hillcrest safeway where they wouldn’t take my cambells soup coupon because it would be free, and I still had a few other things so I told her to take the soup off and she just cancalled the whole transaction and then the second time none of my ecoupons came off. She was very rude and was getting frustrated with me. I wanted to just walk away and not get anything.

9. Sara W says

Hmmm….maybe a local issue? I regularly shop at Safeway here in AZ and rarely encounter an issue. Sometimes problems with the ecoupons, but I see those just kind of as bonus anyway (those aren’t my main couponing method).
    I am definitely eager to hear about your trip to headquarters though and hopefully getting some concrete answers! :)

10. Eran Saunders says

I got to the Safeway at Balfour & Fairview in Brentwood as well. Depending on who you get they can be very rude, snooty, etc. I am about done with Safeway honestly, I can find better deals other places and their produce that used to be good is now dirty and full of bugs. It told the manager the other day that there were hundreds of gnats flying around the cherry tomatoes, inside packaging too! I told her that it looked worse than WinCo! Their milk is going sour before the expriation dates, I have heard this from several people! I don’t know what is going on, but if I have to check myself out or wait for 10 minutes in line, bag my own groceries, deal with dirty conditions and rude employees, I will go somewhere else! Raleys is still pretty good, they are more helpful. FoodMaxx is actually pretty good, I get my organic milk there for less, they don’t fuss as much about coupons, I had one issue, sent an e-mail to corporate and got a phone call from the store manager the next day! It is sad that a “discount” store is better than the “good” store! Now with Target having stuff too, Safeway has to be loosing money!

• Lori says

Hey, don’t bash Winco. That is my store of choice with Raley’s second. I <3 Winco in Modesto. They take all of my coupons (as long as they scan) and I've had them put them in even if they didn't before, always applaud my use of coupons and deals, and have been the nicest of any stores I've gone to in regards to using coupons. I've also not seen any knats at Winco or had a problem with bugs.

I suggested that my readers contact corporate’s customer service and voice their frustration. My specific issue has not been with the coupon acceptance, but with being able to quickly read their receipts and know what I’m paying! It’s frustrating to need a calculator and/or receipt reading training to know what you’re paying. Okay, just my personal ranting, sorry!

Back to the coupon issue . . . my store in Mesa, AZ has been good and I haven’t heard many complaints around AZ. I prefer them to make a “not-so-good” policy than to make people feel like criminals and frustrate shoppers!

Safeway’s Corporate Customer Service: 1-877-723-3929
    Online Comment Form: http://www.safeway.com/IFL/Grocery/Comments#iframetop

12. SueBee says

OH-I did stop at a Safeway I only occasionally shop at a couple weeks ago (Ygnacio Valley Rd in Walnut Creek), and happened to be in the manager’s checkout line. I got the SAME THING as above from him- said that I couldn’t use manufacturer coupons with the Safeway in-ad coupons because I’d be getting items for free. (What?!?) I believe it was the Oscar Meyer hot dogs…I think they would’ve been .49 each with the store + manufacturer coupons? Anyway- doesn’t matter but it was the first time I’ve ever had an issue with my coupons at a Safeway, and I was really bothered that the store manager didn’t seem to know the policy! It was the first time I wished I had a printed copy of the policy with me! :(

13. SueBee says

One more thing- I also have found that my usual Safeway store seems to have changed the way their registers work and now I can’t read my receipts! It’s next to impossible to see if e-coupons came off, and they’ve made it much harder to figure out what I actually was charged for each item. I sent a complaint to corporate about it and they just said that any customer service person would be happy to go over it with me if I had a question. Like I have time to go in and have them explain my receipts line by line?!?

14. dawn says

I have not had this problem yet. The cashiers know me and usually are willing to go out of their way to help, but who knows what is coming …… I have had problems loading my safeway ecoupons onto my card now so I wonder if that is sign of the changes coming? I’ll be interested to hear what they are up to.

15. Naomi says

I shop at the Hillcrest/Davison Safeway in Antioch and am happy that I haven’t had the issues noted above. I have not had any problem retuning merchandise when I’ve needed to and have generally had good experiences there.

16. Judith says

El Dorado Hills Safeway will not take coupons that do not beep. No beep no deal…That’s been the only issue so far…
    And most of the female cashiers are just not very nice when you show up with coupons.

17. Judith says

E-coupons sometimes won’t come off…really frustrating…I e-mailed, sent them faxes with copies of receipts…told me they would credit it to me…but so far…nothing…I have to think twice before doing one of the deals with e-coupons…

18. Ana says

A cashier in Safeway in Fort Lupton told me internet coupons are a great source of FRAUD and returned my coupons to me. Then she starts a conversation with the bagger about how people will make their own coupons and print them, pretty much stealing from the company.

19. Faye says

Ughh! I had the worst experience at Safeway when the cashier took one look at my internet coupon and said, “We don’t accept those! They are FRAUD!” Well, I asked, “Since when?” and she said, “Forever! We never take them. Never have, never will. They are fraud!” I asked for the manager and she said, “You’re speaking to the manager, honey.” (I hate that condescending “Honey”.) I asked for a phone number to call and she rattled it off. Called it and printed their coupon policy. Feeling vindicated, I went back, found the manager, and handed her the policy. She said, “Oh, I thought it was for a “free” item, we don’t take THOSE.” I reminded her she wouldn’t even LOOK at the coupon, and when corporat called she told them they don’t accept IP coupons and he had to FAX her the policy! (She didn’t know I knew that.) Anyway, after complaining about the “Fraud” comment, with numerous customers in line, she gave me an apology and a gift card. Still, you would think they know their own coupon policy!

20. Katie says

I use to have troubles at safeway but i just go to a different one now and they are awesome.
    Here some advice:
    1. Follow the couponing rules (i.e. dont stack two manufacturer coupons – printed/eCoupons)
    2. Use the self check out if you can, then you can make sure things are ringing up at your own pace.
    3. Problems with coupons not ringing up – this happens ALOT to me. Once the cashier showed me why it was happening. Notice on a coupon there are two places to scan. If the wrong one is scaned it wont ring it up for whatever reason. So you simply fold the coupon so only one is showing and scan that one and it works. Weird I know but simple fix. I actually had it happen at Target the other day too. The casheir said well thats weird and I showed her the trick- it worked and there ya go.

I hope your shopping trips at Safeway get better. Remember- not all people are the nicest and might be having a hard day….make sure and stay positive and happy and things might go better- and you’ll leave the couponing world a much better place.

• Katie says

Well I honestly can’t remember, I’ve been doing it for a while now (folding coupons) but I believe its the one with the numbers below it. Not the long one, but the one that most closley resembles a rectangle- lol…..geez its hard to explain….:)

21. Mi says

I go to Safeway at Jackson St. in Hayward and I have multiple bad experiences with coupons. A couple month ago, I was refused to use printed coupon because it would make the thing free. Then tomorrow at the same store, another cashier said “Oh, we don’t take any printed coupon at all.” So I mentioned about their coupon policy, but she said “He doesn’t do any printed, so we can’t” I guess “He” is a store manager??? Individual Safeway stores have their own policy and it over writes the company policy? I’m so upset.

22. Debby says

Yes, I to have had issues with Safeway and coupons. They are very rude when you give them your coupons and then act like your trying to cheat them. I have had to have the Manager called over almost every time even when I have a coupon for a product mailed directly from that product’s company. I shop at the Treat + Clayton Safeway and am very dissapointed with they way the employee’s treat customer’s with coupons. During the Kraft cheese buy 5 get $5 back I even had the cashier tell me sorry my machine is not working to print you you $5 coupon (not exceptable) I had to call the Manager over and asked if he could print from another register. I hope they resolve their issues with frugal shoppers like us.
    Frustrated Shopper

23. Coupon Sally says

I had two coupons for six-packs of Glucerna diabetic nutritional supplement; one expired 10/31 and one expired 11/31.

The cashier rang up two six -packs for me, and I presented my two coupons, but he said I could only use one coupon; I said I’d like to use both; he said I’d need to get two six packs to do that; I said I had two six packs; he glared daggers at me and scanned the coupon.

If he had not scanned the coupon, I would have put one sixer back; I expect the computer would reject the 2nd coupon if there was anything illegit or untoward about my using two coupons. By the way, these are the register coupons that Safeway issues whenever you get your cash register receipt: In other words, the coupons were printed by the same Safeway that was rejecting one of them: BTW, it was the Rossmoor Safeway, one of the weirder Safeways in the Bay Area.

When Safeway is charge $11+ for a sixer of Glucerna, I would never buy a sixer at Safeway without a coupon of some sort.

24. Cloi Rowley says

I’m going to leave a positive comment here…
    First, I do have to qualify that I don’t shop at Safeway on a regular basis, but they had some deal on some things I needed, so yesterday I shopped at the Safeway in Redding, CA on Cypress Blvd.
    I didn’t buy a single item that I didn’t use a coupon for. The cashier was polite, scanned my coupons (store flyer, internet, and shelf) with no problems. Granted, all of my internet coupons scanned… Still. Kudos to this store. It was a pleasant experience.

25. Candice says

I shop at the Safeway on Brentwood Blvd/Central Ave. On occasion some of my ecoupons will not go through, but they typically work. Last week I had an internet coupon that wouldn’t scan, but the cashier manually processed it anyway when I told him I would look through my coupon container for the mfr coupon I had worth the same amount. They have been very friendly and have abided by their coupon policy every time so far! (I don’t know if it helps that I tend to go during off-peak shopping times!)

26. Alix says

My ecoupons have stopped working this last week or maybe two AND my local Safeway sometimes is not accepting “hi value” manu. coupons for sale items. The coupons don’t beep, the cashiers just refuse them, saying the item is already discounted. Very frustrating as I never know what to expect, even from the cashiers that used to be coupon friendly.

27. Christina says

I had problems at Safeway yesterday too. They said that they won’t take a printed coupon if it beeps even though I am certain that the coupon applied to what I was buying. If this is going to be an issues, I’ll have to consider going to another store.

28. Stephanie says

I have had issues at the Pleasanton safeway..
    they have told me I cant stack safeway coupons with manufacture coupons a few times.
    I was even told once before that they dont take printed coupons at ALL. I told them no thats no right and had to wait for a manager. Felt bad to hold up the line but I needed to save money! Then the manager said if they scan they are ok. Safeway use to be really nice about there coupon policy so i dont know whats going on. Lately I have been prefering to go to Raleys since I never have had a issue there.

29. shawndel says

I too have had problems at my safeway. The cashier refused to take my coupons and said that all the managers signed a new policy to not except a manuf coupon along with their safeway coupon. But when I asked another cashier during another shopping trip she said she knew nothing of it and took all my coupons. I decided to go to another safeway when I have a lot of coupon deals. I have had no problems, yet, at the other safeway by our home. Glad to hear it wasn’t just me having this not so positive experience. Looking forward to the new info you will receive Julia. Couponing has changed our life!

30. Maria T. says

Yes! The Southshore/Alameda Towne Center Safeway in Alameda is horrible to deal with. I try to shop there as little as possible. I can’t totally boycott them at this point, but I sure wish I could!

31. Lyndi says

I’ve had both good and bad – sometimes at the same store. It just depends on the cashier, and to tell you the truth there are some I avoid at my local store that I regularly shop at. The only tips I can offer are: 1)only use a laser printer to print your coupons to assure they scan (I just scored a second printer at Staples for $49.98), 2)choose your cashiers wisely and try to connect with them in some form during the ringing up process so if you do have a problem, they are more likely to help you out (they can override anything at their register without manager approval and they’ve done it several times for me), and 3)be flexible as to what store you shop at – if the store won’t take your coupons, try another Safeway if you have that option or save them – there will undoubtedly be another good oppotunity to use them in the near future. We coupon-shoppers love our deals and we should treat our cashiers and managers well – and remind them how often and what kind of influence we have on other shoppers :)

32. Lyndi says

Another thing I’ve been told by my local store manager is that each Safeway store manager has the ability to make decisions at their discretion, regardless of the company’s overall coupon policy. Printed policy…arguing…talking to a manager aside. Which…sometimes is good or can be a total bummer too! Choose your store that you shop wisely :)

33. Barbie says

Wow, I just returned from Safeway (Willow Pass/Concord store) and experienced pretty much everything everyone else has commented on. I had several ecoupons that did not go through and then all but one of my printable coupons for cereal and yogurt would not go through. My cashier was nice enough to try another register with a scanner gun and they went through so she went ahead and pushed them all through but I am starting to think that the future of printables is looking dim for Safeway. She also tried the “fold the coupon to scan just one barcode” trick but that didn’t work either. I just want to know what the rules are so I can shop more effectively, either by not buying certain items at Safeway or shopping elsewhere. Hope you can dig up some good info Julia!

34. SueBee says

I just had to come back and comment that the vast majority of the time, I shop at the Safeway on Bancroft in Walnut Creek. I have NEVER had a problem there, outside of the new computer system that seems like it may or may not take off my e-coupons, and not being able to read my receipt anymore. I have even had cashiers compliment me on knowing all the best deals! After my experience at the other store, I think I’ll stick with what I know. It probably does help, too, to be a regular shopper so the cashiers kind of get to know you. There is one guy in particular who works the night shift at Bancroft and he is always nice and cheerful and LOVES to see me coming with my stack of coupons! :) But maybe that’s another thing that works in my favor- I do tend to do my big shopping late at night when I don’t have to bring the kids and the store is pretty much deserted.

• Angela says

I agree that this Safeway is wonderful when it comes to coupons. If you live anywhere in the area, I would pick this one to shop. (I shop early in the morning after dropping off the kids at school.)

35. Glenn says

The Safeway on Alhambra Ave in Martinez has pretty good cashiers and they’re quite reasonable about trying to get the coupons to work. However recently I find that the large majority of electronic coupons do not come off. Sometimes I see them on the screen while the items are being scanned, but they end up not showing on the final receipt if I also use a manufacturer’s coupon for the same item. Maybe they eliminated the double dip because this used to work before. So now when I plan a trip, I assume that cellfire, shortcut and Safeway e-coupons will not work, and it’s just a bonus if they happen to come off the price.

36. Josie says

Sounds like everyone here is having issues that I have at my local Vons. but this has been ongoing for the past 6 months. Our rules in Southern California regarding certain coupons:

One Like coupon will double (I’m aware Safeway in Nor Cal doesn’t double)
    One like internet coupon
    If it doesn’t scan-they WILL NOT take it
    No FREE item coupons that are printed from the internet.

These are the rules that they stick to most often–they are still currently taking ecoupons and paper coupons but it some cases will not take an e-coupon, paper coupon and their in-ad coupon! so sad that they may change things–I wouldn’t be shopping there otherwise, they are too expensive!

37. Cary says

Safeway has had such good deals lately – its too bad their marketing side and their customer service side can’t work together! If it wasn’t for the great deals, I probably would have given up on them two weeks ago when they changed their register computers and made it impossible to understand. Then this last week, the e-coupons stopped working the time after the register stopped allowing stacked e-coupons with manufacturer’s coupons. Yesterday, I was told that you can’t stack Safeway ad coupons with manufacturers coupons. They also said that you can only use one coupon per order even though I was buying two Quantumatic diswasher starter kits. The customer service had been degrading rapidly as well. The cashier who cheered my Scrubbing Bubbles deals three weeks ago was not happy about my Quantumatic deal this week.

I would be very interested in hearing what has changed and what Safeway is planning for the near future.

Thanks Julia.

38. Alan says

Like commenter Glenn (probably right before me), I also, a couple months ago, kind of gave up on any e-coupons at Safeway, and view them as only a bonus now. I don’t have time to play games with seeing if the e-coupon will come off or not and whether I have to return items. It has to be a reasonably good deal on its own first, then either way, I’m not that invested.

Also like Glenn, my store is also the Alhambra Ave, Martinez store. So far the confusing receipts haven’t landed there yet. Not looking forward to when they do. That’s one of the things I HATE about the Nob Hill (Raley’s) receipts (at the Center Ave, Martinez location, anyway). Especially if you’re also using store coupons. I have to go out in the parking lot and decipher for 5-10 minutes if I buy many coupon items to even see what’s going on and if I got the deals. I sure hope Safeway doesn’t become like that or worse.

So far, other than the unreliable e-coupons, I haven’t had much other problems with this Safeway, but sounds like I will soon. Thanks for the heads up and advice everyone. This is such a great forum and resource… thanks Julia and everyone else who commented.

Also, Julia, I haven’t seen all the videos yet, but what I have seen of your new online coupon class has been great! I plan to watch the rest of your videos as soon as I can, and also as new ones come out periodically.

39. Nancy says

My local Safeway is still good about accepting my pile of coupons (ok to stack Safeway coupon w/MC, IP’s ok if not free item). I do choose my cashier carefully when I have a big stack. Also avoid the Mgrs if possible, they are less coupon-friendly in my experience. I shop during off-peak hours when doing a big coupon trip. I have had issues with the Safeway ad coupons not coming off my total. I’ve had to go back & talk to Cust Svc. They have been good about refunding the money. Also the e-coupons stopped coming off. I contacted Shortcuts.com and got this response as to why it may not have worked: 1) The dollar amt of coupon combined w/a store issued coupon reduces to an amt less than 0 and cannot be redeemed. 2) Members of multiple online coupon svcs can redeem only one at checkout as this is known as “stacking” & retailers are working to end this trend. 3) The product selected does not match the items purchased.

40. JA says

I went in to Safeway on Bailey Rd. this afternoon to get the Cottonelle tp. The cashier told me that I cannot use the $2 manufacturer coupon (from the blinkie) because it said there’s no “doubling” on the coupon (she pointed out that if I use the Safeway ad coupon, I cannot use another coupon… and that means doubling!). Didn’t want to argue with her, but told her to please scan it anyways. She did it really fast deliberately and it didn’t scan. I told her to please scan it again and this time it scanned alright. After that, she kept insinuating that I was trying to pull a fast one. Didn’t realize buying toilet paper can be so dehumanizing :(

41. APRIL says

That’s scary b/c I shop at that Brentwood store…haven’t in a little while, and now I don’t think I’ll go again. It was my favorite too b/c I didn’t get as much crap for my coupons etc. there as I do at the stores in Concord. Safeway in general, in my experience, is bad w/ coupons. I have had A LOT of problems and sadly I’ve lost my cool too many times w/ their cashiers. I really want to go shopping there this week, but I’ll be cautious now. Thanks for posting this.

42. Lynne says

After everything rang up, I realized the total was more than it should have been, so I went to customer service and asked if they could help me understand how the coupons work. The store associate there was VERY polite and helpful, ended up re-ringing everything through, walking me through it, getting stumped a couple of times himself. It sounded like the store coupons weren’t combining with other coupons very well. I’m still not sure I understood everything by the end, but he refunded the couple of dollars difference that I thought I should have had and was very nice about it. So, I’m also a little wary of trying to use all those coupons at Safeway now, but at least the customer service was still great.

43. Stephanie G says

I always have problems at Safeway. They have TERRIBLE customer service – the worst I’ve seen at any grocery store. If the free offers stop, there’s nothing that would keep me shopping there. And there have to be a bunch of great deals to even make it worth the hassle to go now. I’m always treated like I’m trying to steal something just for using coupons. I once tried to use 2 of the same internet coupon and one scanned, but the other didn’t and they told me it was because you can only use 1 internet coupon for the same product so you can’t be using copies (totally not why it didn’t scan–they just didn’t want to deal with the hassle). I’ve had several experiences where they don’t have limits posted on things and they won’t honor the sale price after the limit. My husband went in one time and tried to buy a bunch of soda (20- 12 packs) when it was on sale. No limit was posted and they refused to sell him ANY. Not even just a smaller quantity. They just refused service altogether. He called corporate about it and they told him that was at the store manager’s discretion. So not even any help from the higher ups at Safeway. They are terrible overpriced on regular merchandise, so I think any change in their ecoupon policy will just make me stop shopping there altogether. It will save me a headache anyhow.

WOW!! Thank you all SO VERY much for your input and for sharing your experiences. I will be compiling a list of the major concerns and hope to have the opportunity to share them during my trip to corporate – I should have more info and an update after 10/26.

• Glenn says

One time I had a Safeway e-coupon stored on my club card for $2 off a $10 purchase of Rancher’s reserve meat. I met the criteria but the $2 wasn’t deducted. I immediately went to customer service and asked them about it, and they said there was no way they would know what Safeway e-coupons were stored on my card so they wouldn’t give me the $2 back. I went home and sure enough , the e-coupon was stored on my card but not redeemed. I also notice that when the Safeway e-coupon shows that it expires on a certain date, it actually expires the day before, and if you try to redeem it on the expiration date, it doesn’t show up as active. I have given up on all the e-coupons and take that into consideration whenever I make a purchase decision based on blogger posts.

45. Juliet says

A couple weeks ago when I tried the liquid coffee-mate deal (in-add coupon for $0.99 – $1 coupon from $70 booklet, making it free) I had the rudest store manager who refused to accept my coupon. We both referenced the coupon policy (#5) that stated a coupon must be reduced to the sale price if it is over the amount of the item, so a $1 coupon would be reduced to $0.99 for an item that was on sale for $0.99. But she took it to mean they would not take the coupon. After trying to reason with her, she finally said that I needed to either pay for it or move on because she had other customers waiting.

I contacted Safeway through Facebook and Twitter and they said they would look into it. A few days later they asked for my contact info so the day time manager could call me. Two weeks later I hadn’t heard from her, so I emailed Safeway back and let them know. A couple hours later the store manager called me. She listened to my story, apologized and offered to honor my coupons the next time I came in when she was there. I’ll be going on Monday and glad they resolved it, even if it took two weeks.

46. TFF Fan says

I shop at the Ygnacio / Oak Grove Safeway and the employees there are awesome. James, the Store Manager, takes customer feedback seriously and told me about a new savings program that Safeway will be launching soon.

I do have a hard time understanding the new receipt format and making sure all of my coupons are actually taken off the total; it is confusing. The old way was easier to read and I could verify the store and mfr. coupon savings.

I did have an issue with one cashier who would rudely tear through my shopping cart and actually unbag my bagged groceries if a coupon did not scan and she wanted to make sure I purchased the item. She made me feel like I was stealing and she always embarassed me. I just don’t go in her line anymore – problem solved!

Thank you, Julia, for all you do to help us save money. You are such a blessing!!!

47. Cathy says

Many of the store personnel, including managers, misunderstand the “free” part of the coupon dilemma. It isn’t that the product can’t be free after the coupons (as many comments have stated, per management), it is that internet coupons that offer free merchandise won’t be honored. In other words, if an internet coupon says, for example, “this coupon good for a free bag of potato chips,” that won’t be honored.

I had a different problem at Safeway on Willow Pass in Concord. The checker, who was a front end manager, told me that Safeway doesn’t accept more than one internet coupon for a product. I was purchasing five packages of Oscar Meyer lunch meat, and I had three coupons. Because the coupons were for the same product, she automatically assumed that I could only use one internet coupon, even though I bought FIVE packages, and had a coupon for three of them. She misunderstood the policy. Obviously, customers can’t use more than one manufacturer’s coupon for any one item, but she was misconstruing the policy. Knowing that she was mistaken, I asked to see the written policy. She proceeded to go to the office, and bring back the black notebook. She said something about finding a similar policy, but that she “couldn’t find the exact one.” I looked at where she pointed, and told her that this had nothing to do with the issue at hand. By this time, her line was growing, and at least 7-10 minutes had elapsed. I asked for the manager (they have all kinds of managers) who came over, and she and the checker had a lengthy discussion about how at an employees’ meeting, another manager had chided them for taking too many coupons. I have no idea why employees think that customers care about the inner workings of their store…all customers want to do is to spend money at their store, and get out quickly. The manager told the front end manager (the one who was waiting on me) that I was correct, i.e., that you can use one internet coupon for EACH of the items.

Later, I called the manager, who after hearing the story, was surprised by the lack of customer service I received. Moreover, he said that he would explain to his employees what the policy at Safeway is. He graciously gave me a gift card (and, frankly, I think that I deserved it for the time spent in line).

What often employees fail to see is the forest for the trees. While all of this hoopla was made over my coupons (which, BTW, had she just gone ahead and scanned them, she wouldn’t have had any problem), her line was growing, customers were becoming agitated, and no productivity was happening. As a result, time was wasted, and money on labor was ill-spent.

A happy customer is a loyal customer.

48. Teresa says

I have had the same experience about cashier thinking I am getting something for free with a coupon. I had one who at first fefused to let me use a manufactor coupon with a safeway coupon. His reasoning was that the safeway coupon said, “do not double. ” I explained I was allowed per the coupon policy. He than said, “Well it is like you are getting them for free.” In reality they were $2.98 (cottonelle TP). They should know their own policy.

49. Meg says

I was at the one of the Vons stores here in Southern California (on Portola in Irvine, CA). I was NOT very happy with the store employee, Paul. I called on Saturday, 10/16/10 at 3:30pm and requested for him to check the shelf for me if the store has any of the Finish Quantumatic Automatic dishwashing system on sale for 2 for $10. Also, if purchase 2, it’ll print a $3 Catalina coupon for your next purchase. Paul came back on the line and said the store has alot. I asked how many? He stated there are about 12 or so. I asked him if he could hold about 8 for me. He said no problem. Within 1/2 hr, I was at the store. I asked who Paul was, as he was holding the Finish Quantumatic for me. I went to cashier #3 and asked him if he was Paul, he said no even though his name tag said “Paul” on it. I went back to another cashier and told them that’s not Paul at the cash register #3. They said that’s the only Paul we have. I went back to him and said loudly are you Paul? He said yes, I told him how come when I asked you if you’re Paul you said no. He said “Oh I thought you asked if I was closed? How can you get mixed up with Paul and closed?

Anyways, I asked for the Finish systems and he said he only has 4 for me. I told him specifically on the phone to hold 8 for me? He said while he was on the phone w/ me a lady came in and got the rest of the items. Yea right! I was thinking he probably could only carry 4 to the register and was too lazy to get a cart to carry 8 to the cash register! I was in a hurry so I ended up only purchasing 4 – what he had at the register. (I used 4 of the $3 off coupons). Then my Catalina didn’t print. It only printed one $3 Catalina for the first 2 purchased but the 2nd Catalina did not print for me. I asked Paul why and he went to a manager who said to give me $3 store coupon.

I will only shop at Vons if there’s a sale, otherwise I refused to shop at any of the Vons Stores because of these types of encounter with their employees!! I had other employees at another Vons stores nearby refused my coupons because it’s “internet coupons”. They were printed on black/white copier and they think they’re copied!! I hate Vons and will only shop if there’s a GREAT sale!!

50. Voahangy says

I now only used the self check cash register. An I always do it in this order: Scan my groceries, then I scan my manufacturer coupons, then my Safeway card, that’s when my ecoupons will get deducted and then my in-ad coupons at the end. works like a charm!

51. Lucy says

My e-coupons (Cellfire & Shortcuts) rarely come off, and in the last 2-3 weeks none of them have – very frustrating. I’ve also had an issue where the checker wouldn’t take both a Safeway in-ad coupon and a manufacturer coupon – but – on my way out of the store the customer service person gave me a refund.

I shop at San Jose, Campbell and Los Gatos stores

52. Micha says

Safeway Castro Valley CA frequently runs out of stock on sale items, especially later on. Asking for a rain check gets, “Sorry, we don’t issue them for 4 day sales”, or “Sorry no rain checks on super coupons”. Of course they have stock on non-sale product. Somehow they get away with this kind of bait and switch.
    Or, for example, they will stock green (sale) and red (non-sale) grapes right next to each other, with a big sale banner, but be out of stock on the sale grapes, and sell the red ones for 3-4 times as much. They cynically behave as if this kind of deception/scam played upon the customer is ok. I could go on….

53. Michelle says

I think I might be on the other side of the country – I use the Safeway in Arnold/Annapolis, MD and haven’t had any problems with any coupons. I was just there on Saturday and all of my ecoupons came off (cheap Cheerios, Progresso and Chex Mix!), they took all my internet printed coupons and I was able to get in on the Cottonelle deal (there were plenty of blinkies left too so I’m going to go back and do it again!). So sorry everyone seems to be having problems. I wonder if this is regional?

54. Kristi G. says

Yes, I have had similar experiences at my Safeway. Most especially when I take my receipt to get a price adjustment. The store managers (one in particular) make me think that I was wrong about the deal or that I am just making things up. I have had good experiences too with some of the cashiers who also love coupons.

55. Jo says

I am SO frustrated at the lack of customer service that I receive at Safeway in Tracy. My friend and I both have had cashier’s say rude things to us while checking out using coupons. We both contacted corporate and both received two totally different responses. I have taken my business to Raley’s and Savemart. I do not need to feel like a criminal while trying to save my family $ the honest way!

WOW, I am so sorry you all are having such trouble. I shop at the Vons in Del Mar and Carmel Valley, and while I have also had trouble with the ecoupons working, the manager was always very nice and gave me the cash back after the fact. She said to avoid it, to print off the list of the e coupons you loaded to your card and check against your reciept. Its an extra step, but it might work for you all.
    Also, ive had trouble witht he “free” coupons, but usually they come via mail and are printed on special “check” paper. When I pointed this out, they gladly took it.
    As for the nasty comments, I seem to get those from the customers behind me vs the cashier, thankfully.
    I hope your experiences improve with Vons!

57. ECS says

wish i’d read these comments before heading to the safeway in brentwood on balfour! the ecoupons are now only comming off once instead of the multiples times that they used to. i wasn’t able to use a paper MQ in addition to the ecoupon. also, when i used a safeway coupon on an item that had an ecoupon attached, the ecoupon was taken off. no more safeway trips for me. easier and cheaper to do all my shopping at winco.

58. carrie says

I was telling everyone all about how great Safeway was and how that was goining to be my new place to shop but after this past weekend I will ot be going back unless there is a deal to die for. The manager and I were going round and round over coupons that the coupon policy I had said would work and they should accept versus the coupon policy she had that is TOTALLY different. I double checked the website and it’s not even on teh website yet. She said all the store managers had to sign this “new” policy and she had to abide by it even though it wasn’t up for public use. One issue was with Formula I have rebate checks from enfamil I had a safeway coupon (not manufacturer) for $13.85 off 2 cans and a $5 manufacture coupon wiht a target logo. The manger told me if I used the rebate checks and the $13.85 off 2 cans I couldn’t use the $5.00 my SIL gave me from target because the safeway catalina coupons are now considered Manufacture coupons and she should me one. I looked exactly like the one I was using EXCEPT the one I had was older and didn’t say Manufacturer cpn on the left side then she went as far as to tell me I doctored it. Finally she called somewhere and they told her they use to have them and to let me use it then she tried playing a guilt trip about how she is going to get in trouble and the money may get docked from her check. Told her sorry to hear it but I am using it. Also the coupon policy says safeway will give you the highest deduction amount and I argued over that. There was a peelie on my grands biscutts that was $.50 on 4 I had to manufacture q’s that were $.30 on 2 so if I bought 4 the 2/$.30 would have been $.60 on 4 cans and she wouldn’t use them because she used the $.50 peelie. I told her to give me hte peelie and use my coupons because it was more of a discount and she threw the oeelie in her drawer slot and said oops can’t get it now until the drawer opens and it won’t open until you finish the transaction. I could go on and on. This happened at the Safeway Store in Brentwood at Highway 4 and Central. I went there because I heard the Fairview one was having issues.

59. betsy says

the number of coupons being accepted is dwindaling. the blinkies didnt even work today. and I did them first before I did the safeway coupons this time so the register wouldnt say to many coupons. even my shortcut coupons didnt work. ugghh!!!

60. Shannon says

There are 3 Safeways in Vallejo:
    The Safeway in Glen Cove in Vallejo is awesome! Their cashiers are always very friendly. However I recently found that my EQ’s do not come off…even if I wait 24-48 hours after I load them. I noticed last week that the SC’s don’t show up at the bottom of the receipt anymore with the MnfQ’s. The price reflects the SC’s but it is not a seperate line item as before.
    The Safeway on Georgia street is the worst when it comes to taking Q’s. They refused to take printed Q’s and even went as far as calling the store manager over (making me feel like a criminal) and glaring at me when the store manager said “We will accept it THIS TIME.”
    The Safeway on Admiral Callaghan, like the one in Glen Cove, has never given me any problems. The store manager rang me up recently and she was very excited about my savings.

I am very diligent about making sure that I have all my Q’s in order, can account for each item that is rang up, and have a smile on my face. Rude cashiers are the worst…my heart starts pounding, I can feel my face turning red and I want to run from the store…but I compose myself and remember that I AM THE CUSTOMER and I shouldn’t be treated badly, I’ve done nothing wrong. In addition I avoid the locations that see Qing as a crime.

• Linda Hahn says

The evening shift at the American Canyon Safeway was always fabulous to me too! Since I moved to Fairfield and had a horrible experience, I no longer shop at Safeway. But I do miss my regular lady that worked late at AmCan! She was almost like my own personal cheerleader! lol

61. Christa says

I have been having issues as well with my eCoupons coming off. I just went on Safeway.com to check out the coupon directory and found that they are switching to their Just for U eCoupons. I believe that when they originally launched this program, it was only available to Hawaii residents. After just getting off the phone, they are gradually launching it to all areas across the US! I live in El Dorado Hills, CA and was pleasantly surprised with the variety and dollar value of the eCoupons offered with this new program! And, as a bonus for registering your card, you get a FREE dozen eggs! So, I hope that this happens for all of us across the nation and hopefully this may explain some of the problems we all have been having with our eCoupons. Hopefully we don’t continue to have issues with this new program. And, personally, I will be printing my “shopping list” of eCoupons I just downloaded. In the event they don’t come off, I can immediately go over to Customer Service to have them remedy the problem and get my money back on the spot. Happy shopping!

62. Anonymous says

I also had the same with safeway with a buy one get one. They said I could not get anything for free even thought that coupon was buy one get one

63. Jessica says

I noticed the last time I went that my e-coupons did not come off and I figured that it was coming to an end. I won’t try to dispute with shortcuts or cellfire – that’s too much hassle. Oh well…. On the other hand, the Safeway in Pinole is very coupon friendly. I even forgot to bring my Beauty & the Beast coupon (IP) and just brought the coupon and receipt and they gave me my $10, no problem. If coupons don’t scan, they just manually enter them. They are always impressed with the savings! I’ve even had cashiers/managers comment to people behind me “Now this is the way to go!”

Same here in Mesa AZ. Although my store has been pretty great about my coupons they did inform me that if it drops down to free I am unable to use the coupons. I only had one cashier get rude about a coupon not scanning. I told her to put that item aside, finished my order and took the offending coupon and item to the customer service desk and they scanned it just fine there. All in all my experiences have been great but it does seem Safeway is in the midst of making some policy changes. I look forward to hearing how your trip to Safeway goes! Thanks for all you do to have save us money!!!

65. Linds says

I hope they get rid of the Just 4 U program (Hawaii and Chicago so far), without stacking coupons, I just can’t make it worth the extra trip to go shop there anymore.

66. jay w says

I had a store in the Sac Valley tell me I couldn’t use my OYNO (from previous day) on my transaction, b/c I’d be saving over 50% on my bill. Funny part is, my “regular” coupons & club card savings had already brought my savings to over 50%. I’ve also been told that I can’t get stuff for free/nearly free with coupons- that they “don’t give groceries away”- even though I’ve politely pointed out that they are being completely reimbursed for any coupons I use.

However, I also had a great cashier the other day, and when someone in line behind me made a comment on how great my savings were, the cashier actually commented “That’s nothing- I’ve seen people get entire carts, use coupons & pay just a few dollars- it’s really great”.

67. Cheryl says

Looks like the “Just for U” program is on Safeway’s website (for Northern California) and any reference to Shortcut and Cellfire (under coupons) has been deleted.

• Yvonne says

I live in So. Cal (Ventura County) and checked Vons.com, it still has links to shortcuts.com, cellfire, and pg&e saver. I have also had some trouble with e-coupons not coming off and was told that it takes at least 24 hours from when you load the coupon to your card for it to show up on the card in the store—does that make sense? Now I wait at least 24 hours after loading e-coupons before shopping and try to shop while my son is in school so I can go over the receipt without him saying, Mom we’re done right, let’s go home and put them away. :)

68. Cheryl says

When reading the Safeway Coupon Policy – under #15 it reads: Safeway reserves the right to refuse ANY coupons at its discretion! Just another reason why I will not be shopping at Safeway much anymore unless I don’t need to use coupons. Since Safeway’s regular prices are usually higher than some of my other Grocery stores I will just probably be shopping elsewhere.

Juli I hope you find out some good information for us couponers next week.

Thanks for everything you do to help us save money!!!!!

69. Robbi says

I just returned from my Safeway in Walnut Creek (Countrywood Shopping Center) for the 2nd time today. When I got home I checked my receipt and sure enough, just like last week, the Safeway coupons (the ones in their ad) were not reflecting the right price. At least $1 over EVERY item! This week it was a $19 error, last week was $9.50!! Can you imagine if every customer was overcharged? The receipt was so confusing even the service dept. cashier was frustrated.

The cashier both times just forced my manufactors coupons in and gave me credit for every one of them.

I will say, every single casher, service desk, and store manager was extremely sorry and very easy to deal with. They even gave me a $10 gift card for my trouble. I know our store got new cash registers a few weeks ago and it’s been a problem since then.

70. Robbi says

oh, I forgot to mention that the clerks in my Safeway were rotating thru some kind of training today for something NEW that will begin for us next week when we use our club card. Can’t wait to see what that might be!

• Rebecca says

I’ve heard Safeway will no longer allow the stacking of paper and e-coupons effective next week (at least, this is the word for N. California).

71. Danae says

I shop at the Safeway in Concord on Willow Pass. On my last trip last week I had a stack of coupons like normal except this time NONE of them went through…no internet printed, no Safeway, no straight from the paper. The cashier made some comment about this happening ALL day and hoped they figured out the problem soon. She didn’t even blink about them not scanning and just forced them to all go through. I thanked her for doing that and she said no problem. My ecoupons did not come off, but I was just happy that she pushed everything else through without any hassle. I have always thought of the ecoupons as a bonus so I guess I don’t notice it as much. Not every experience has been like that and I have times where they want to unpack all my groceries, but many times the baggers save me and will say she had 3 or 4 of whatever they are in this bag. From what she said and some of the comments on here it almost sounds like whatever new system they are using has some bugs in it causing it to not run properly! I usually shop off peak hours so I think that might help a lot. I may start trying the self checkout line for some of my more coupon heavy trips as it sounds like it runs smoother that way though.

72. Rebecca says

There is a cashier at my local Safeway who is extremely unfriendly when it comes to coupons. I’ve heard of many, many experiences in which shoppers are treated like criminals for using coupons at Safeway and I just don’t get it. I contacted them once about it via email and nicely suggested they consider revamping their employee training on coupons. They replied that this was not necessary (oh, really?). You would think Safeway would treat coupon shoppers with excitement vs. disdain – I mean, let’s look at it this way… if you were selling lemonade for $1 a glass, would you prefer I purchased one glass with cash or fifty glasses with a check? Assuming the check is good, the obvious choice is the latter. And that’s what ethical couponing is – we pay with “checks” written by the manufacturer. We spend countless hours finding ways to make the store money! Now, I don’t know if this is true but it’s the only thing that could explain the unfriendliness of many Safeway cashiers…. I heard that Safeway cashiers do not receive “credit” for coupon purchases… If this is true I would sure wonder why there is such a policy. At any rate, I look forward to hearing the results of your visit w/Safeway!!!

73. Maureen Carlson says

I shop at the Downers Grove Dominick’s Store and was told by the regular cashier that i was being rude using so many coupons that i was holding up her line and that I should use the self check if I was going to use Coupons. so on my next visit that is what I did and after scanning 3 coupons it locked up the machine and was told to take my entire order to check out #1. Well guess who was my cashier.? she proceeded to say I thought i explained to you that you needed to use self check . I told her what happened and she moaned about having to check me out so I talked to the manager and was told next time go to a different cashier.
    she treats every coupon as if it was money out of her own pocket. I believe her name is Clair but I am not sure.
    on the positive side there are 2 cashiers Tammy and Andy that are always friendly and nice and if a coupon will not scan they try it manually and if that will not work. they apologize and explain they can’t take it. they do not try to make you feel like you are trying to commit coupon fraud

74. Tina says

I also was having trouble using coupons at Safeway. I handed the cashier my coupons and she stated how she couldn’t take the printed coupons. I told her I was just there yesterday with some and I wasn’t told that. When I asked her why she couldn’t take them she acted as if I was trying to do something wrong but didn’t want to tell me. She then looked over my shoulder to the lady at the next register and stated how they wasn’t allowed to take them at her old store in Richmond because of coupon fraud. I couldn’t believe what I just heard or should I say what I was being accused of. The second worker made a phone call and said “take them” All the coupons I gave her scanned fine with no problems. I told her the all have different numbers…I felt like I was being treated like a criminal and even looked at like one by the people that was waiting for them to hurry up and finish. The Safeway I go to is located in downtown Martinez. One time I was overcharged 19.20 because the items didn’t ring up at the right sale price that was advertised in their sales paper. I kept pointing to the sales paper and the item and this person was VERY upset that I bothered her to give me my money back. She treated me like she was only giving it to me to go away… I really don’t think she ever did understand

75. jay says

Safeway routinely rips off people who don’t check their receipt before they leave the store.

Today, I bought 2 half gallons of milk (Lucerne brand) for which I had a clipped coupon from the weekly ad for 99 cents per half gallon (limit 2), and they came up on my receipt for $1.59, even after giving the coupon to the checker. I had to go to the Customer Service Desk and wait in line while my perishibles withered to get my refund. The clerk there said the “system” was scanning these coupons at 1 cent, not 60 cents, as it should be in the ad.

Make sure you check your coupon discounts at Safeway!!

76. Valiii says

The new “Just 4 U” program has been a big headache. The coupons frequently don’t go thru, so you have to really scrutinize your receipts.
    Then, you have to get customer service to reimburse you for their computer’s mistake. The customer service employee told me I was supposed to bring a printout of everything I added to my card, so I could prove that I was supposed to get the discounts. The whole point of the program was supposed to be that you didn’t need to bring coupons; if you have to make a printout just to go shopping, it is not worth it!

77. Valiii says

Note: The above happened at the Walnut Creek Countrywood store. I used to love that store, but lately their checkers have been kind of sullen or bored, so maybe I’ll try the Ygnacio store.
    The very best Safeway in this area is in Lafayette,
    always very friendly and courteous. “Just for U” messed up there also, but they were very nice and apologetic about it.

78. Char says

I found this website looking to see if other people were having as much problems as I have trying to coupon at Safeway. My Safeway is Canby, Oregon. I have been refused by their cashiers to double on printable coupons, but I found out, Safeway has no such policy! Also, I was shopping one evening with coupons, and I was stopped by the cashier who told me I couldn’t use the cents off coupons if the item would be free. That is not the proper understanding of Safeway coupon policy! You can use cents off and get the item free, you just can’t make money on using the coupon. And you can’t use a coupon that says FREE on it, as there are coupons that are fraud saying FREE on them. Personally, I’ve never had a FREE anything coupon, only the BOGO Free coupons. I was also denied using two coupons at the same time, even though I was buying the coesponding product for each coupon. When I tried to correct the manager’s refusal to accept my coupons, she said she had the right under Safeway policy to make a decision not to accept my coupons. I think it is a grossly misunderstood and abused policy! If I had a suspicious coupon, that looked fraudulent, then I would understand the refusal. But my printable coupons all have the necessary watermarks, coding, etc. , to prove they are legitimate! I have had problems with this store manager before on other issues, she is very nasty, and shouldn’t be in the public eye! I’ve called corporate level to make a complaint, and I’ve asked for corporate involvement to educate there store personnel on the proper application and interpretation of their own couponing policies. I will be going out of my way to find other stores to shop at to use my couponing before going back there again. I’m tired of being treated like a criminal for couponing to stretch my SSI budget!

• Mari says

Ah, yes…..the agony of shopping at Safeway with coupons. Corporate does not care. Local stores will not allow us to get anything for free when using a cents off coupon. Coupons are rejected because “they have that right to do so according to the policy” Of course they do not adhere to the rest of their own policy! I wish the Safeway upper managements would read all the assorted online comments and get their act together by improving things at the individual store levels. I fail to understand why Safeway corporate is content to allow all this abuse of their own coupon policy to exist and why they do not get that they are losing so much money when we all take our bigger dollar value shopping trips to other store chains.

1. […] I think I can safely say that those awesome FREE deals just might be coming to an end.  Go here to read more…I’ll continue to write the deals and coupon match-ups as I’ve done in the past until I […]