Have you ever wondered how to make h0memade laundry detergent in your own home? If so, you are in luck! The initial investment is about $11 for the first 5 gallons, but after that, you will have Borax and Washing Soda left over and will only have to buy the bar of soap. To make it easier to stir, you may want to try a drill attachment for stirring paint.
Here is what you will need:
- 4 Cups – hot tap water
- 1 Fels-Naptha soap bar – $0.97
- 1 Cup – Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda *It must be sodium carbonate!! – $3.24
- ½ Cup 20 Mule Team Borax – $2.98
- 5 Gallon bucket with lid (about $2.75)
We have found all these at Wal-mart. If they are out, Ace Hardware is the next best place to find look.
Here’s how you put it all together:
Shred bar of soap (we like to use a cheese grater) and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
- Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken. (It will gel.)
- Stir once again and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser. Shake before each use.
- Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
- Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
- Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)