From Our Pantry: Chocolate/Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie

This delicious treat has been a wonderful addition to my day and at under 200 calories it’s totally guilt free.  In fact afterwards I feel so full, sometimes I can’t even finish it all.  It’s really simple and surprisingly frugal…

Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Smoothie

1. 1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk – 35 Calories  (Sweetened is 90 calories and I can’t tell the difference!)
  2. 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt – 65 Calories
  3. 1/2 Scoop Chocolate Whey Protein Powder – 70 Calories (I found the container pictured for $14.99 at Grocery Outlet – it will last a long time at the 1/2 scoop rate!)
  4. 1 Tbsp PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter – 23 Calories
  5. 2 Handfuls of Ice

Ok let’s talk a little bit about the PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter, it has 85% less calories and fat than regular peanut butter without a single artificial ingredient.   I recently developed an allergy to peanut butter, not a major one but enough that I knew something was up.  I finally figured out it was peanut butter, but for some odd reason I can use this product – thankfully!  Of course don’t try this if you have a severe allergy, this is just my experience.   You can buy this product on Amazon, but I’ve found that it’s much cheaper on VitaCost at $5.31 a jar it may seem expensive but it stretches a whole lot farther than regular peanut butter would in a smoothie.

Here is a bit of info from the PB2 website…

It’s what’s not in PB2 that makes it so good for you. For starters, our special process removes 85% of the fat calories without the chemicals typically used in producing reduced fat foods. Something else you won’t find in PB2 is preservatives. What you will find is natural roasted peanut flavor

So I said frugal didn’t I?  I know all of those ingredients look very expensive, but a little goes a long way and right now for example you can get a quart of the almond milk at Whole Foods for $0.99.  You could order 2 jars of the PB2 on VitaCost with this free $10 Credit for just the cost of shipping ($4.99) and I get the Fage at Costco at $4.99 a container.  That’s the cheapest I’ve found it.  I should try to break down the cost of each glass, maybe I’ll do that sometime soon!

Of course this can be done in SO many different ways, add in a banana or use chocolate almond milk.  Regular milk, skip the protein powder, you get the point.  This works on the diet I’m currently following (down 5lbs!).  I hope you enjoy it.

Comments

1. Ginny Logan via Facebook says

I have never heard of that peanut butter. I’m going to have to try it. I’m so fluffy right now! I need all the help I can get and I love a good filling smoothie.

2. Ginny Logan via Facebook says

p.s. I won’t be letting our peanut allergy kids try it though…all for momma! :) Glad you can have it with your new found allergy to pb. It’s just plain sad to not be able to eat pb.

3. Emily Gallegos says

This is one of my go to breakfasts too. I never knew there was peanut butter powder, and just curious, how did you know you had developed a peanut allergy? I ask because I sometimes feel a little funny in my mouth and throat after drinking my smoothie. Wondering if it could be the PB.

• Emily Gallegos says

oh dear, my inner ears are itchy too. never even thought that could be an allergy…guess i should get tested. my son has a peanut butter allergy :(

4. Shawn Brown says

Two questions: 1/2 greek yoghurt – 1/2 what? 1/2 of that very large container or 1/2 cup?
    Title calls it chocolate peanut butter smoothie – where is the chocolate?
    Chocolate and peanut butter are two of my favorites!

Thanks!

5. Tereza says

I found protein powder – about same size as yours at Walmart plus I had $3 off, cant rember brand – finaly cost was around $11. Now I have found slimfast protein powder on clearance at CVS for $2 – but smaller size.

6. Jolene says

Silk half-gallon is about $1 at Target, wyb Honey Bunches of Oats, also about $1. Must stack Target coupon + Manufacturer’s coupons to get deal.

7. Erica Deweese via Facebook says

be carefull with your pb allergy, as with all food allergies they worsen with each exposure to the allergen!! Learned this the hard way and now mine has gone from mild discomfort to anaphalctic!! :(

8. kristy says

Ordered my pb2, looking forward to getting it!
    Fyi my daughter as an infant was alergic to my breastmilk and whole milk. But formula wasn’t a problem. Pediatrician said it had to do with the heat used in cooking down the powdered formula. Sounds like same thing for you with Pb. Btw, at 11 years old she can now drink reg milk

9. Sommer Emery says

I found some Chocolate Whey Protein powder at Trader Joes. It was $10 for the container. Not sure if this was a great deal or not, but picked it up since I saw it. Just ordered my PB2 peanut butter powder tonight. Can’t wait to start making these!